After surgery some patients are alert and oriented immediately, while others may take some time waking up. All of our patients go to our recovery room after surgery, where they will be carefully monitored by highly trained recovery room nurses. Light nourishment will be available. Family will be invited to the recovery room to join their loved one at the patient’s request. Once the patient is ready to be discharged they will be escorted to their car by our personnel with their discharge instructions.
Remember that it is your responsibility to arrange to have someone at home with you for at least the first night after your surgery. Recovering from surgery takes time – it is important to give your body time to rest and recover from your surgery and to follow your surgeon’s postoperative instructions.
- Call your surgeon if you have any unusual symptoms or unexpected changes in your condition.
- Do not take any medications other than those prescribed by your physician.
- Avoid all alcoholic beverages.
- Do not drive or operate machinery or heavy equipment for at least 24 hours after your surgery.
- Avoid signing any legal documents for at least 24 hours after your surgery.